Saturday 21 June 2014

I is for Invisible

Invisible - adjective unable to be seen.

Now you probably think I'm about to launch into a invisible illness rant, trust me I could, but this is actually about something else invisible. Us.

When you have a chronic illness you tend to get ignored, forgotten about and avoided. People are almost scared to ask you questions or talk to you, they don't want to 'set you off', as if we can't answer like normal people. I've found that my pain is often viewed as an inconvenience, as if I've purposefully chosen this moment, so people just tend not to ask because they don't want to hear the answer.

Well I'm tired of being invisible.

We're invisible to the government, our bosses, friends, family and the general public until its convenient for them for us to be seen. I promise that 99% of people with a chronic illness will NOT go on a 3hour lecture if you ask if they're 'alright' and acknowledging that they are hurt/upset/angry is not going to harm you but could make them feel better.

We are people and we deserve to be valued.




No comments:

Post a Comment