Monday 22 December 2014

Being 22.

I feel like Taylor Swift lied to me about how it feels to be 22...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v9nfy_ZmsA

It was brought to my attention recently that I'm no longer really a young person with chronic illness, but neither am I a 'regular' person with chronic illness. Being 22 I don't know where I quite stand at the minute, of course in medical terms I'm still an exception for my problems and in society's views I'm still too young to be ill, but in the chronic illness world, where do I stand?

The community really is split into young people and everyone else because honestly viewpoints and situations are very different in each clique. What's important you at 15 probably isn't at 45. 
I certainly don't think I'm part of the older group just yet as my pension pot never crosses my mind. Then again neither do I worry about my GCSE's, so where do I belong?

We were the young ones not very long ago and it isn't that I feel particularly excluded from the clique it's just a rather bizarre position to be in. I suppose that whether ill or not being this age is difficult for everyone, when did we suddenly become part of the big, bad, adult world? I don't remember that happening.

No longer is it acceptable for us to disappear from the world whenever we feel like it, we have to be scary sounding words like 'responsible', 'dependable' and 'reliable', which I am not entirely happy about. Saying that though, I don't think I'd really want to go back to being 15 and stressing about who fancies you and what grade you got in the maths mock exam. 

I guess there is no right answer here, we belong wherever we feel the most comfortable. 'Where is that?' I hear you ask, well I'm married, sitting in a children's cartoon character onesie watching teenage american TV shows. You decide...

No comments:

Post a Comment