Tuesday 12 August 2014

R is for Rules

Rules - noun A set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct or procedure within a particular area of activity.

Unfortunately none of this comes with a manual and people always say 'Wouldn't it be lovely if life came with a rule book' but personally I think that would make life terribly boring. If everybody had to act in the same way, within the same guidelines, then wouldn't that make us all fundamentally the same person? Maybe, maybe not.

The point I'm trying to make is this; there is no right or wrong way to be 'ill'. I know I talk a lot about not being who the world wants you to be, but to be honest if that's actually who you're happy being then go right ahead. Nobody has sat down ,as far as I know, and written a set of rules on what a sick person should do. As long as whatever you're doing works for you then that's fine.

You should never feel that you can't do something because that's not what people with 'X' do, if you are a person with 'X' and you do it then that is what people with 'X' do. For example I'm going to a music festival in a few weeks and will be camping for 3 days, I've been told that obviously I'm not as ill as I say because going to festivals is not what people with Fibromyalgia do. Now, I don't remember reading that in the 'Rules and regulations for Fibromyalgia sufferers', maybe I lost my copy somewhere. But regardless of what people may think I know what I can and can't do and that is my decision, no one elses. 

So don't let anyone else set the rules for your life. It's you life, live it however you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment