Monday 24 October 2016

A year of fear not - wrap up 1


So it's Monday (day 20), it was a slow start so I've only now got around to writing an end of week wrap up with the selfish purpose of reaffirming and reminding myself of what I should have taken in this week.
Day 11 - Exodus 14:13, 
This is...difficult, the principle for the day was to stand firm and wait for victory when surrounded by trouble. I'm not good at standing still, both literally and figuratively actually, and it's still hard to remember that God is on my side...that I'm not fighting alone. How weird is that? He's always been there, that hasn't changed but I'm also used to being self-reliant so when trouble comes knocking I look to myself to fix it, I guess it's not that I forget exactly - more that I just don't think about there being other options than fighting alone. A lesson I need to learn.
Day 12 - Exodus 20:20, 
I'm thankful for the other group members that day, I've never like the idea of 'God-fearing' because I always thought of it as being afraid of the Lord and that just doesn't sit well with me. However, the other members helped me see that maybe the word 'fear' in this sense doesn't mean 'to be scared, afraid' but could instead mean 'in awe of, respect' and that the proving part doesn't necessarily meant that God is testing your worth as such. This whole verse could really be telling us that we don't need to fear trials or challenges because we have the awesome power of the Lord on our side and if we respect that power we can make it through just fine.
Day 13 - Num 21:34, 
I'm not going to bluff you, this verse didn't speak to me at all and that's okay. There may not be a message for my situation right now, I may not be open to it or maybe it's just not for me...any of those are a-okay.
Day 14 - Deuteronomy 4:21,
Fear stops you from getting what you deserve. 
(I'm holding back further thoughts on this for now, maybe I'll tell you them someday)
Day 15 - Deuteronomy 3:2,
Fear comes from all over, from different places and situations, caused by different people and words, all are valid and all are conquerable. And each victory builds you, gives you another layer of armour to help you battle on so it's okay to start small. In fact, start tiny, start with the smallest fear you can think of and then keep building your armour with each victory.
Day 16 - Deuteronomy 3:22,
There is no fear when God takes control. 
There is no fear when God takes control.
There is no fear when God takes control.
Do you know what that requires? Allowing God to take control. Note to self - Allow God to take control.
Day 17 - Deut 20:3,
Hearts are fickle things, full of softness and passion. Now, that's not a bad thing at all, it's actually great and just how things should be but, sometimes it means that hearts tremble and quiver. They're not quite up to the job of guiding us all by their squishy-selves, and lucky for us they don't need to. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that hearts and strongest when they're full of love, we know how much more we can face when we have a loving partner beside us, how much more courageous we feel with our parents hand in ours. So imagine how strong our hearts can be with the love of our Heavenly Father?
Day 18 - Deut 31:6
This was my favourite of the week, not just because Google has an awesome selection of cute graphics for this verse though that is a factor, because of the message that smacks me in the face everytime I see it. Maybe that's not quite the right phrase, it's much more like a warm cuddle or a chocolate biscuit that's been perfectly dunked in milk. 
God will never abandon you. Not when you're weak, not when you're abandoning him, not when you're afraid, or prideful, or angry or desperate. 

Want to join us? -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/726418587508507/

No comments:

Post a Comment